Did you know that the oldest ever listed mattress is estimated to be 77,000 years old? Mattresses have indeed been used for thousands of years in various forms and shapes. The word’mattress’ is derived from the Arabic language which means to’throw down something’. This is also where the word’mat’ comes from. Ancient civilizations constructed mattresses with a myriad of natural substances including feathers, horse hair and straw. Today, mattress technology is now cutting edge. New heights of relaxation have been attained; making mattress experiences for sleepers even better.
The Kinds of mattresses you can find online
There are innumerable kinds and types of mattresses to see in the market. Knowing the specifications of different mattress types will help you choose what works for you best. Below is a drill-down of the greatest kinds.
- Innerspring mattresses
These are made using a steel coil system for support. Here, springs are intricately connected to form the larger support base. Having said this, it is still the most popular kind of mattress to many. Innerspring mattresses are some of the most affordable; and this is one of the reasons why they’re still popular. Below are other benefits;
- They are readily available on the Market
- You can choose the level of firmness as you desire
- When they are Starting to wear, the springs will make a squeaky noise which is unpleasant
- They could do a much better job to handle pressure points and pain
- Memory foam mattresses
Foam technology is known for its great comforts by sleepers. This makes them very popular in the market. They’re highly snug and will take your relaxation to a different level. In fact, the memory foam technology was first used by NASA and has been used in the manufacturing of comfortable seats for pilots. Regarding comfort, this kind enjoys excellent customer satisfaction feedback. Other benefits are as follows;
- Relieves pressure points efficiently
- Ensures that your spine aligns properly
- Known to prevent aches and pains while sleeping
- The motion transfer with the mattress is very low
- Not prone to attack by allergens like dust mites
- Fits nicely in adjustable beds
- No major demerits to note, for low budget sleepers, However, the mattress is not the most budget-friendly
- Natural fiber mattresses
These types are created using natural fibers instead of synthetic materials such as foams. Because they are natural, this sort of mattress is pricier. If you are looking for a green way to invest your time in bed, then this is the best means to do it. This is the most eco-friendly mattress choice in the market. Buying this mattress will literally reduce your carbon footprint. You will find all manner of natural fibers to select from. You can go with organic cotton, organic wool, bamboo, latex gotten from rubber trees, coconut coir and hemp. All the natural fibers include their own merits. For example, if you are searching for something lasting, organic cotton mattresses may last up to 15 years. Wool on the other hand is well known for its great comfort and temperature regulation. Latex is flame resistant and bamboo is a superb resource that is renewable. If you want a buoyant mattress, you can consider coconut coir.
- Latex mattresses
These are a few of the most popular mattresses on the marketplace today. First, latex is a natural substance that’s durable and comfortable. However, bear in mind that latex products aren’t all made the same. In actuality, many latex mattresses could be a hybrid of different materials. Therefore, knowing the sort of latex will help you in the buying procedure. You can be certain that depending on the production, latex products will differ in quality. Below are the top merits;
- The mattress will not require any rotation or flipping
- They have little off-gasing
- They mostly do not use any chemicals
- They’re thicker and moving them can be cumbersome
- They are more costly and budget buyers might not afford them
- Waterbed mattresses
Waterbeds were first made in the 1800s with a doctor who was seeking to make the life of his patients simpler. The Scottish doctor pioneered waterbeds in an effort to tackle bedsores.
- Can promote back health
- They’re versatile with ability to set water temperature and even adjust firmness
- Redefines relaxation and can make your spine more limber or flexible
- Not the most portable option
- Complicated set up procedure and can be more prone to puncturing and leakage
- Pillow-top mattresses
This mattress technology is famous for the extra padding and layering it increases the mattress. They may be used along with other mattress technologies. Additionally, you have hybrid choices for materials including cotton, foam, fiber film, wool, latex and memory foam.
- The extra padding is highly comfortable
- Retains its shape after using
- Does not overheat and is washable
- Has a Fast bounce-back
- Many sleepers can find it too soft
- Gives out a Small odor
- Gel mattresses
This is a technology that uses foam that contains gel. There are many methods to adding the gel in the foam and to this end, sleepers are provided with better comfort and general feel. This type is usually fitted with features that eliminate overheating to control the temperatures. It is a fantastic option when you are searching for a dynamic mattress which will give you a top quality sleep experience.
- Hybrid mattresses
These are very common types and they comprise a combination of various mattress technologies. Foams that have gel may also be combined to make hybrids. The mattress seeks to increase comfort by incorporating many elements which make mattresses function optimally.
When should you purchase a new mattress?
After 5 to 10 years, experts advocate tossing your old mattress and buying a new one. 1 significant reason to buy a new mattress would be to address your comfort needs. In case you have been struggling with back pain and standard sleeping discomfort when you go to bed, then this is a good indicator that you may need a new one. If you’re looking to upgrade and receive a new technology, this is another great reason to purchase a new mattress. In case you’ve had a mattress for near 10 years and it’s still serving you perfectly, buying a new mattress might not be that necessary. If you are asking when is a great time to get a mattress, individual aspects will apply. Nevertheless, when you are ready to buy, you’ll be happy to know that purchasing the perfect mattress on the internet is possible. In actuality, you can purchase a cheap mattress online without compromising the quality.
What are the benefits of purchasing a mattress online?
- The first and most obvious benefit is that you enjoy convenience. This way, you can consume less time because you don’t have to make your way to a physical shop. Wherever you are, you can shop for a mattress online.
- You can expect to pay less for your mattress when you buy online. This is because physical stores will always have a higher price tag. Online, you can buy directly from the manufacturer or access great discounts from virtual sellers.
- It is easier to get all of the product information online compared to brick and mortar shops. In actuality, you can take time to learn more about the mattress without being diverted by a salesperson. In so doing, you have the ability to generate a more informed decision on the mattress you want.
Additionally, the mattress can be delivered with no supervision or presence; unlike in conventional stores.
This means that purchasing a mattress at a physical store doesn’t give you any added advantage compared to purchasing online.
- Online retailers are famous for their exceptional customer service compared to physical stores. With a terrific buying experience, customers will refer others and even buy again.
Downsides of Purchasing online
- Most online sellers Won’t offer old mattress removal services
- You do not have the chance to test the mattress before buying; however, some online mattresses do take a trail period
Extensive guide to buy the perfect mattress online
At the beginning of this article, a list of various types of mattresses were given. Examine the merits and demerits. Consider the features and specifications of each type. If you’re looking for something that will alleviate back pain effectively, determine what’s very likely to work for you. Narrow down your choices and make comparisons. When you have a better idea on the most acceptable type, proceed to another step.
- Consider your mattress funding needs
Know the price range you’re working with. This will allow you to narrow down the list further to the most inexpensive type for you. There are a variety of factors that determine the price of a mattress. The first element is the size, the bigger the mattress, the more expensive it will be. Mattresses come in a variety of sizes from small to super king size. The article, technology and brand will also determine the whole cost. Take advantage of special discounts to acquire the most acceptable mattress at the lowest cost possible. Keep a keen eye on sales and offers by online stores.
- Get familiar with the policies of your online merchant
Some online stores will offer a complete mattress service which includes the assembly of the product in your property. Other sellers will only undertake a door shipping. Know what the return policies and the fees they attract. If there are any hidden or additional fees, you should know. Many mattresses include a trial period. Therefore, get to know which manufacturer offers this and for how long. This satisfaction guarantee is critical to getting the perfect mattress online. Also, look at the warranty information about the mattress, it can vary from two years to 25 years.
- Read independent customer testimonials
Search online for unbiased reviews on the mattress you’re looking to buy. Get the entire feedback so you can get a sense of what it is you’re buying. Besides getting feedback about the quality of the mattress, examine the customer service at different online stores. This way, you can determine the best stores to buy a mattress.